Sunday, April 12, 2009

Common Grammar Mistakes

The first common mistake i do is the misunderstanding between its and it's.
Example: Birds are known for it's ability to fly. (incorrect)
Correct Sentence: Birds are known for its ability to fly.
Until my poly, I thought that both its and it's have the same meaning. So if i write any essay i use 'its' all the time regardless of the meaning. But in my EG1471 class, I have learnt that its and it's have two different meanings. 'Its' is a possessive pronoun that means of it or belonging to it. 'It's' means it is or it has.


I always get confused between the usage of comma(,) and semicolon(;). Eventhough they are used to link 2 sentences, their purpose of usage is different.
Example: I love chocolate; but it's not as healthy as yogurt. (incorrect)
Correct Sentence: I love chocolate, but it's not as healthy as yogurt.
After some text book reading, I have learnt that when linking two independent clauses with coordinating conjuctions comma should be used. The semicolon is also used to connect two independent clauses but with out a coording conjuctions. That is use ';' to connect 2 independent clause.


The third common mistake is the usage of 'the'. In my writing assignment and text editing tests, I found that I got frequent article errors. Eventhough I know that 'the' should be used if you are refering an object or a process again, when writing a lengthy essay it is very difficult for me to keep track of the things geting repeated. This can be avoided by re-checking the essay again after writing it.

2 comments:

  1. I do make the same mistakes too, before attending this module. I always thought “its” and “it’s” have the same meaning but in real facts it is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same mistakes in the past. I manage to correct it after doing more reading. By reading more books, we can observe how a word is being used.

    ReplyDelete